History


  • 1672-

    1672

    The first step towards a formal pharmaceutical education was introduced in Denmark with Christian V’s Regulation of December 4 on doctors and pharmacists (the Medicinal Regulation). Prior to establishing a pharmacy, the pharmacist should be examined by the medical faculty at the University of Copenhagen.

  • 1797

    H.C. Ørsted graduates as a pharmacist (examen Chemico-pharmaceuticum).

  • 1892

    The pharmaceutical education evolved to an independent institution by establishment of the Pharmaceutical College located centrally in Copenhagen at Stockholmsgade 27-29. The land, building and furnishings were donated by etatsråd, factory owner and pharmacist Christian D.A. Hansen.

  • 1896

    The first two women pass the exam for Candidatae Pharmaciae.

  • 1936

    The first professorship in pharmacy was established.

  • 1936

    Pharmacist Svend Aage Schou is employed in the newly established professorship of Pharmacy at the Pharmaceutical College.

  • 1942

    Pharmaceutical College moved to a new building in the northern part of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken and simultaneously changed its name to the Royal Danish School of Pharmacy (DFH).

  • 1942

    The pharmaceutical doctorate (dr. pharm.) was introduced. (See the names of people with doctorate degrees below).

  • 1944

    The first honorary doctor (dr. pharm. h.c.) at the Royal Danish School of Pharmacy is promoted. (See the names of people with honorary doctorate degrees below).

  • 1954

    The Pharmaceutical Licentiate degree (Lic. Pharm.) was introduced (from 1988 called PhD).

  • 1956

    The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy is inaugurating H.C. The Ørsted medal (see below) at the initiative of the former rector, professor, Dr. Phil. Carl Faurholt.

  • 1962

    The first group of pharmaceutical candidates graduated with more than 50% women (47/89). Since then, the percentage of women graduated has been more than 50.

  • 2003

    The programme is divided into a three-year bachelor programme followed by a two-year master's programme. A degree as a Bachelor in Pharmacy (bac.pharm.) was introduced.

  • 2003

    The name of the institution was changed to the Danish University of Pharmaceutical Sciences (DFU).

  • 2004

    MSc in Pharmaceutical science (MSc. Pharm. Sci.), an international education with teaching in English was introduced.

  • 2006

    The first students are enrolled in the new two-year MSc programmes in Pharmacy (cand. pharm.) and pharmaceutical science (cand. scient. pharm.) on the basis of an obtained bac. Pharm.

  • 2007

    DFU merged with the University of Copenhagen and the name was changed to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (FARMA).

  • 2011

    MSc in Medicinal Chemistry (MSc. Med. Chem.), an international education with teaching in English was introduced.

  • 2012

    FARMA merged with the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen and by now, the pharmaceutical educations are gathered in the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pharma School).