27 September 2016
New edition of textbook in Medicinal chemistry by teachers from Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology
The 5th edition of “Textbook of Drug Design and Discovery” edited by Professor Kristian Stromgaard, Professor Povl Krogsgaard-Larsen and School Director Ulf Madsen, all from Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology has now been published by CRC Press. The textbook is used for the compulsory course “Medicinal and Biostructural Chemistry”
- Provides a comprehensive source of information on all facets of modern drug design and discovery
- Covers basic methods and principles as well as applied and industrial medicinal chemistry
- Contains contributions from some of the world's leading experts in medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutical research
- Includes chapters describing the particular challenges and aspects of developing peptide-based drugs as well as a broader description of protein-based drugs
- Adds a chapter devoted to medicinal chemistry considerations in the pharmaceutical industry when developing hit compounds into lead compounds and later clinical candidates
Building on the success of the previous editions, the Textbook of Drug Design and Discovery, Fifth Edition, has been thoroughly revised and updated to provide a complete source of information on all facets of drug design and discovery for students of chemistry, pharmacy, pharmacology, biochemistry, and medicine. The information is presented in an up-to-date review form with an underlying and fundamental focus on the educational aspects.
Beginning with an introduction to drug design and discovery, the first eight chapters cover molecular recognition, ligand-based drug design, and biostructure-based drug design. The authors also discuss drug-like properties and decision making in medicinal chemistry, chemical biology, natural products in drug discovery, and in vivo imaging in drug discovery.
The middle six chapters provide an overview of peptide and protein drug design, prodrugs in drug design and development, and enzyme inhibitors. The authors also go through receptors (structure, function, and pharmacology), ion channels (structure and function), and neurotransmitter transporters (structure, function, and drug binding).
The following chapters address important neurotransmitter systems, GABA and glutamic acid receptors and transporter ligands, acetylcholine, histamine, dopamine and serotonin, and opioid and cannabinoid receptors. The book concludes with an examination of neglected diseases, anticancer agents, tyrosine kinase receptors, and antibiotics.
Details on the book
- Title: Textbook of Drug Design and Discovery
- Editors: Kristian Strømgaard, Povl Krogsgaard-Larsen & Ulf Madsen
- Published August 9, 2016 by CRC Press
- Textbook - 436 Pages - 327 Color
- ISBN 9781498702782 - CAT# K24629